An Introduction to Home Insurance Types

Insuring your Central Ohio home should be easy, so Insuran LLC made this quick guide to home insurance. That broad term encompasses homeowners’ insurance, plus condo, RV, and renter’s insurance. Within homeowners’ insurance, you can choose from four different levels of coverage – dwelling, standard, all-peril, and historical home.

While the other types remain self-explanatory, homeowners’ insurance requires a bit of explanation. The four levels of coverage apply only to houses. (If you buy a condo, you get condo coverage, also the type you buy for an apartment you purchase.) The four house types differ in coverage levels, mostly with respect to perils.

Dwelling: A homeowner who has previously filed many insurance claims or an older home in disrepair requires dwelling insurance, which covers only ten perils and liability plus personal property damage.

Standard: The typical policy purchased by most homeowners covers 16 named perils, liability, and personal property damage.

All-peril: Think of this as an enhanced form of standard coverage. It has no limits to the perils it covers. It also covers liability and personal property damage. Some policies also include medical coverage and living expenses if damage to your home precludes you from living in it while it undergoes repairs.

Historical: An owner of a home on the historical register or with architectural significance purchases historical home insurance (HO-8). This insurance covers many perils but not all of them, including liability and personal property damage.

Contact Central Ohio’s Insuran LLC to learn more about your options for home insurance. You can easily insure your home whether you buy a condo or a mansion, a tiny house, or an RV. Let Insuran LLC help.